Pages

18 July 2011

Rust: my shamelessly copied tried and true method of weathering metal

I wouldn't dare claim this method as my own, but in all of my searches of the vast expanse of the Internets, I found this method (albeit, slightly tweaked for my application) of painting rust that yielded results far superior to the generic 'tinbitz then dry brush which ever metal top coat you want' method.  Gratned, the afore mentioned method is faster, but  I prefer this as a more organic representation of rusting out metal.






Step 1.  Base coat with GW Dark Flesh (or whatever equivalent paint).



Step 2. Stipple with GW Blazing Orange.

SIDE NOTE - stippling is not dry brushing - it's a lot more violent.  Take the brush as you normally would, get rid of the excess paint (similar to dry brushing), then randomly stab the model.  Repeatedly.  Because of this angry motion, it will utterly destroy your brush.  GW makes a stippling brush (it isn't worth the money in my humble opinion)- get a cheap brush and cut down the bristles fairly short to get yourself a cheap alternative to a 'specialized' brush.


Step 3. Stipple GW Golden Yellow.


Step 4. Liberal wash of GW Devlin Mud. Let dry completely before going on with the next step.



Step 5. Dry brush with GW Boltgun Metal (or any metal you want really).


Ta-da.  Pick out details and whatnot's and BOOM! done.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment